When it comes to ecommerce product pages, there’s one medium that most merchants are ignoring.
And it’s more than likely costing them sales.
I’m talking about video…
I’d estimate about 95% of the product pages I’ve seen in recent times are limited to just images and text.
And while there is nothing wrong with this, you’d be making a mistake to not at least give video a try.
Let’s face it, it’s well known that the millennial generation of today would rather watch TV than read a book. And even some older adults are more likely to be interested in watching a video, than reading.
On top of that, KissMetrics reported that:
- Video now appears in 70% of the top 100 search results listings
- Viewers are anywhere from 64-85% more likely to buy after watching a product video
- Visitors are 144% more likely to purchase after seeing a product video than those who did not
- Visitors who watch video stay on the site twice as long and visit twice as many pages versus those who don’t see video
Now, that’s pretty compelling evidence, right?
But the truth is, improving your conversions with video is not as easy as just slapping up a product video and watching your bank balance grow.
You have to be creative and get the attention of your visitors.
Now, I’m no expert on creating videos… but here are some tips to help you:
- Hire a professional video production company to shoot your videos, unless you know what you’re doing
- Show as many different angles of your products as you can to give the prospect a good view.
- Try to segment your videos for different geographical areas or demographics to personalise the experience for the user. This is an advanced tactic, but it works to lift conversions.
As with any new marketing idea, you need to test what works and what doesn’t. You shouldn’t just expect the first video you create to all of a sudden explode your sales.
Quite often I find a combination of video and text works best, as some people prefer to read… while others prefer video. Everybody is different.
And by having both text and video, you get the best of both worlds.
For more profit boosting ecommerce tips, you can book in for a website audit with myself by contacting me here: